African Research Centre on Aging and Dementia (ARCAD), a Ugandan Non-Profit and Non-Government Collaborative Research Institute. The center was established in 2017 with a group of social gerontologist with an inspiration of advancing aging and dementia research in the African content. It’s centered at offering high quality, networking (Local or international) aging research in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).
ARCAD targets Older persons aged 60 years and above with emphasis on the following categories
- The physically and mentally incapacitated; these are older persons who live in isolation without any family or community support.
- The chronically sick; these are older persons who suffer incurable illnesses.
- The homeless; these are older persons who live in temporary make shifts in the area
- The widows and widowers; these older persons that have lost their spouses.
- Economically active poor. These are older persons who are economically active, but they are not gainfully employed.
Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) aged below 18 years and they are categorized as
- Children that have lost one or both parents due to AIDS or other factors
- Children that live outside family care or marginalized, stigmatized or discriminated against
- Orphans and Vulnerable Children that live under the care and support of older persons.